Thursday, September 29, 2011

9/24/11: Akron Marathon Relay

This past Saturday I participated in my first big running event, ever.  Even though I have been running for nearly two decades, I never made it 15 minutes down the road in Akron to be apart of the Akron Marathon and one of its running events.  This year, I was finally able to find a relay team to run on. 
 Approximately 16,000 runners ran in the event in some capacity this year, whether it was the full or half marathon, or the 5 person relay team.  The picture above doesn't do justice to the amount of people gathered on N. Broadway St. just before 7am to get ready to race.
There were so many people, that Eric and I stood at the starting line to watch everyone take off.  We stood there for almost 10 minutes for the last person cross the starting line.
I ran the 5th leg of the relay, a 7.9 mile run from the top of Sand Run Park through neighborhoods, including a quick run through Stan Hewitt Gardens and into downtown.  I felt good most of the way, except the few times that I choked on the water I tried drinking at the water stations. Turns out throwing water at your open mouth isn't the best way to get it down. 
I got to try out the Saucony Progrid Kinvara 2 shoes for the first time in a race (next month I try out the Nike Frees in a race).  They just so happen to match my outfit, with the neon green shoes, shirt, and black running shorts with the neon green stripe.  The only thing out of place was the red bandana I had on my head.
I felt my pace was good through the first 5 miles, right around the 8 minute mark, if not a bit faster.  One of the things I wasn't prepared for was that the first 6 miles of my 8 mile run was a constant run uphill. Sure, the last 2 miles was straight down into downtown, but it was a slow climb that eventually took its toll on my legs.
My training for this race wasn't what it should have been.  My longest training run was between 5 1/2 and 6 miles, 2 miles shorter than the race itself.  I also have been battling a knee injury that I am going to get checked out this week. More on that later.
Between miles 6 and 7, I used the downhills to my advantage, or at least, to the best advantage I could get. The last mile was probably the most brutal mile I have ever run.  Once I crossed the finish line, getting my team a sub 4 hour time, my arms, legs, and feet were all numb.  My legs and feet were the worst, with my feet the worst overall. I am sure it was due to me stopping running and my feet swelling a bit in my shoes that were tied on tight.
One of the coolest part of the race was the finish.  We finished the race by running down Main St. and into the back of the Akron Aeros stadium.  They opened up the doors in center field and you ran toward the crowd sitting in the stands.

With all this being said, and the pain I had from running just 8 miles, I caught the bug.  I am already starting to increase my mileage to prep myself for a marathon run next year at Akron.  The sights, sounds, fans, and the other runners make you want to get out there and do it yourself.  I had already planned on running a marathon soon, as I want to qualify for Boston some day, but this just sealed the deal for me even more.


No comments:

Post a Comment