Saturday, December 1, 2012

Oglebay Festival of Lights


We decided to forgo the Polar Express this year and my sister offered the idea of going to Oglebay in West Virginia. They have a Festival of Lights which is supposed to be the biggest light display around.  None of us had ever been so the whole family (all 12 of us!) decided to go down for a night.  You know you are getting old when you start getting carsick.  Towards the end of the trip down there I just could not handle the winding roads anymore.  I think I'm becoming my mother.

We started our stay off in the main lobby with a drink and tried to come to a decision about dinner.  We eventually agreed that we would go a few miles away to a local restaurant instead of staying at the resort which was a little overpriced. 

 THIS IS THE PART YOU MUST LISTEN TO.  NEVER LEAVE THE RESORT. I REPEAT, NEVER LEAVE THE RESORT.

Sadly, we made that mistake.  We drove those few miles away at around 5:00.  I have no idea how long dinner was or what time we left.  What I can tell you is that it took us right around 2.5 hours, yes HOURS to drive those few miles back to the entrance for the Festival of Lights. Trying inching in traffic with your children for 2.5 hours. Holy Lord.

Eventually we made it to the entrance and started our trek.  Unfortunately I didn't grab any pictures of the actual lights but they were all super cool. The girls jumped up in my lap on the front seat and LOVED it.  This is something (minus leaving) we will definitely do again!








No comments:

Post a Comment